Gov. Jay Inslee today honored state agency managers who have demonstrated outstanding leadership. The 2016 Governor’s Award for Leadership in Management was presented to 22 recipients at an awards luncheon at the Executive Residence.
This year’s recipients were recognized for a wide range of accomplishments, including work to save taxpayer dollars, improve communications with local governments, small businesses and the public, and protect public health.
“These managers exemplify the best in our state employees. They have set priorities and achieved results, managed risk and modeled leadership attributes,” Inslee said. “They are setting a great example and I am pleased to recognize their excellence in management through these awards.”
The Leadership in Management program was created in 1985 to recognize state government managers who demonstrate excellent performance. A selection committee composed of agency directors and executive staff chose the winners based on demonstrated performance.
This year’s recipients of the Governor’s Award for Leadership in Management are:
- Kathy Beith, Department of Revenue
- Daniela Bremmer, Department of Transportation
- Steve Campbell, Department of Retirement Systems
- Terri Colbert, Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board
- Sreenath Gangula, Department of Transportation
- Betsy Hagen, Washington Student Achievement Council
- Julie Hudson, Washington State Patrol
- Scott Jarmon, Washington State Patrol
- Vickie Kennedy, Department of Labor and Industries
- Catherine Kinnaman, Department of Social and Health Services
- Dr. Yong Liu, Department of Agriculture
- Michael MacKillop, Department of Services for the Blind
- Dr. James Marra, Department of Agriculture
- David Mitchell, Washington Student Achievement Council
- Larry Pierce, Military Department
- Connie Shumate, Department of Commerce
- David Smelser, Department of Transportation
- Kathy Smith, Health Care Authority
- Annette Taylor, Department of Labor and Industries
- Dr. Kathy Taylor, Department of Ecology
- Brian Thomas, Office of Administrative Hearings
- Haiping Zhang, Department of Licensing
Read more about the 2016 recipients in the June 29, 2016 award ceremony program.